Tuesday 17 May 2011

Day 1 of Work

Hey everyone!
So its not exactly true, but today was sort of the 1st day of work. Our experiments don't start until next week, so so far I am just reading the papers, and maybe doing a short lit review. To be honest I didn't get that much reading done today because I was a little distracted by the internet, and figuring out other things, such as the Euro to Canadian Dollar conversion rate, which I think is probably important anyway :)

I really promise to take pictures, its just that I forgot my camera at home today, but it was sort of cloudy anyway so tomorrow should be a lot better since it should be sunny! I will also try to write a little more about the theories surrounding our experiments, they are actually really cool, even for people who don't do psychology research.

My PhD student also gave me a crash course in stats today. I did take them at the beginning of 2nd year, but needless to say I don't really remember that much of it...:(

I also finally got to speak to some other students here today. There is a guy from Waterloo also in our department doing his co-op. So he will be here for 4 months which seems incredibly long to me :)
I also finally met someone from my program (Aditya) he is doing an engineering internship at the same university as I am (TU Berlin). He actually speaks fluent German so it was great having dinner with him (he translated stuff and told me more about Berlin). Fun Fact: The band U2 got its name from one of the subway lines in Berlin! And I actually took this subway line home today after dinner! I am sure some of you already knew about this, but I definitely didn't, so its pretty awesome!

A few more funny things...I went to the cafeteria to buy tea today...of course since I don't understand German I just picked out a tea bag at random that I thought was black tea. In fact, it turned out to be reddish-pink and was really good (raspberry or something :)) So sometimes it clearly pays off not to understand the language ;)

I think I'll finish by talking about my subway adventure. It was the first time taking the subway for me. Aditya pointed me in the right direction, but after ending up on the platform, I wasn't sure where to buy a ticket. So I looked for the most scholarly-looking man on the platform, and approached him in hopes that he speaks english. He did. In fact, he spoke so well at first i thought he was British, but he was actually from Bavaria, the southern part of Germany around Munich. He told me where the ticket machines were and so I bought some sort of ticket and even managed to validate it by myself. Once I finally start using my camera, I'll take a picture of the tickets and post it here...

Hope everyone is doing well back home!
And thanks for all the comments! Keep them coming :)

Alina

3 comments:

  1. You need to collect all the tea bags and bring them back to Canadia!!!

    - Daniel

    (I have to sign it because it won't show my name :( )

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love reading about your adventures....its become a daily routine now!

    -Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. your adventures sound awesomeeeee :)haha how long r u staying in germany for? btw, have you had a chance to try out those german sausages? i heard they r absolutely fantastic :)

    - Michelle

    ReplyDelete